Sunday, October 13, 2013

Meet Me In Paris Under The Eiffel Tower


.





On our first day in Paris we had two things we had to do:  go pick up our Paris Passes, and meet Bob under the Eiffel Tower at 4:00 p.m.  What a more perfect way to start out in Paris than going to the Eiffel Tower. Bob a friend of ours, who is an airline pilot was going to be in Paris that day and would meet us under the tower.
After getting lost for two hours and finally finding our way to the Paris Pass office, we headed for the Eiffel Tower. Upon exiting the Metro at Trocadero,  I was trying to figure out where we were when Katie comes over to me, grabs my arm trying to turn me around and excitedly saying, “Mom, mom, LOOK!” As she turned me around, there it was, the Eiffel Tower. It was ‘Love at first sight’.  I had no idea how huge it was plus I had not noticed from photos how beautiful the iron work on it was. I literally stopped in my tracks, mouth open, and then the tears started swelling up in my eyes. I couldn’t believe I was in Paris looking at the Eiffel Tower!

I asked my daughter Katie “didn’t you cry when you saw it”, she said no because she was so taken by my reaction to seeing it for the first time.

Your whole life you see pictures, watch movies of this site, but I wasn’t expecting the actual size of it. Seeing the surrounding area with the long water fountains, green grassed park areas, I was frozen and struck with awe. I couldn’t believe I was standing here in person, me! Both Katie and I just stood there trying to take in the moment “Maybe you should pinch me, because I still can’t believe I’m here,” I said.




Our tree. You can see the towers reflection in Katie's sunglasses.
 

We had a little extra time before Bob showed up so we walked over to the grassy park area, and found a tree to sit down by and lean against, and just stare up at the tower, watch the people around us. There were people having their picnics with a baguette, cheese and wine. It really is an amazing thing. 
After spending the day with Bob, walking the East bank of the Seine, going to the Norte Damn, seeing the Lovers’ Bridge with all the locks on it, having dinner at Bob’s favorite restaurant and then having desert at a crepe stand, we walked back to the Eiffel Tower after dark so we could see it all lit up and to get to watch when it sparkled. This time of evening we saw a lot of couples sitting there on the grass with a picnic, but we noticed instead of wine it was Champagne.   I asked Bob, “Because you travel all around the world as a pilot, and get to come here often, do you appreciate these moments?” And you know what he said? “Yes, I do, every time I come here and see it.” 
A few days later Katie and I went back again, wanting to go to the top of the tower when it was still light outside, but then see the lights come on while we were at the top. Our wish came true, and all in perfect timing.
Like in life itself you always want the last moment of something or the last bite to be savored. So on our last day in Paris we decided to end it at the Eiffel Tower. We sat by the fountains, listened to Edith Piaf’s music and watched as the sun set and the lights came on. Ooh La La

 
 

8 comments:

  1. Marjory and Katie - that a cute video - love your humming La Vie en Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine. Funny thing about this video was I didn't realize I was humming, but my daughter said I had to add the video to show the beautiful lights. Some times you have to swallow your pride, and not take yourself too seriously.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. paris trip planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I missed this comment, you are more than welcome to link this post. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  3. You delivered such an impressive piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain information. Thanks for sharing such information with us due to which my several concepts have been cleared. Where to stay in Paris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful article. Fascinating to read. I love to read such an excellent article. Thanks! It has made my task more and extra easy. Keep rocking. Paris itinerary

    ReplyDelete

NASSAU, BAHAMAS

The resort Atlantis from our balcony on the cruise ship. HEY MON! NO PROBLEM    After disembarking from the ship, you are bomba...