Wednesday, February 16, 2011

TUESDAY'S THRIFT STORE FINDS


Evening in Paris Perfume
I actually found this about 7 yrs. ago at a thrift store in AZ. My mother wore this in the 50's and 60's, so this was a real blast from the past item to find. I've only worn it once just to see if it smelt the same And IT DID!
Now I just smile when I see it, because it brings back soooo many memories of my mom.



I did a little research on this bottle, and it was produced in the 40's and 50's. Plus, I also found this info.
 The Evening in Paris perfume was first seen in 1928 when perfumer Ernest Beaux created this masterpiece for his perfume company called Bourjois. As soon as it was launched, the word of this perfumes magnificence spread like wild-fire across Paris and this perfume was an immediate success.
When it was launched in 1928, it was only known as Soir de Paris, but the company soon realized the global potential and for sale in the US the perfume was renamed Evening in Paris.
What makes this perfume so special? Let’s give you an insight into what really goes into making this masterpiece. This classic perfume has a soft and sweet floral scent that is enhanced by bergamot and violets. The heart notes of this perfume are formed by jasmine, tilleul, lilac, clover and rose, whereas the base notes comprise of styrax and vetiver.
This combination has made the Evening in Paris perfume by Bourjois’, it’s most successful ever perfume. The perfume gained immense popularity in the 1930’s and 1940’s and popularity peaked in 1950’s. However, surprisingly in 1969 the perfume just vanished from the markets.

Just thought you'd like to know.






8 comments:

  1. what's it smell like? i've often wondered...yoy can still find evening in paris at the vermont country store but that is an awesome find...especially since it has sentimental value for you.

    blessings,

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! Such a sweet story about your memories of mom. And that bottle is great.. an evening in Paris sounds fabulous to me! Thanks for linking up to the Share the Love party!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how the smell of something can bring back so many memories.
    I'll be back to check out all your thrify adventures. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! My mother wore Tabu (this was in the 80's) when I was small and I keep a bottle of it just for the memories. So sweet! I'm you're newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marjory! Thanks so much for hopping over to my blog! I would totally do the same thing with a round rolodex and I did with the flat one. I bet there are enough cards in it for a full year! That would be awesome to label each one with a date. Then, even if it is not a birthday, you could write something down one each day...Oh, maybe a gratitude rolodex! I am so doing that. See...my brain never stops! :) Thanks again for checking me out!

    P.S. Oh how I wish there were good thrift shops in Vegas! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! I love finding things that hold special memories for me, too. Vintage perfume bottles are quite collectible these days.

    Thanks for linking to the party. I hope to see you each week. And be sure to enter the giveaway, if you haven't already. ;)

    By the way, I just joined you as a follower.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm! I remember as a child, that it was really popular in the 50's - 60's, My mum wore it all the time.
    I loved it with a passion, and I can still remember the smell. In 1969 it was discontinued, and I was so devastated, and wondered.... Why would anyone discontinue products of such, when at the time was well known and liked by many users.

    I am at the moment, searching the web, to see if I can find the ORIGINAL Vintage Soir De Paris, or Evening In Paris.
    I very much would love to own one to keep as an Antique.

    If I knew how to make the perfume myself, I would do it, but I really don't know all the measurements of each Ingredient, that was used to make it.

    I don't know if it is against the Law, to make and create someone elses Perfume or product, but I would only be making it for my personal use, because it's about the BEST perfumes that I like, and along with it, was another Perfume that I loved with a passion, was INTIMATE by Revlon...the scent just stayed in my clothes, even after they were washed.

    I am also looking for the ORIGINAL perfume of Intimate.

    If anyone have any ideas of what I have typed here, please reply ASAP.

    Cheers

    Liz

    ReplyDelete

NASSAU, BAHAMAS

The resort Atlantis from our balcony on the cruise ship. HEY MON! NO PROBLEM    After disembarking from the ship, you are bomba...